Recipe courtesy of Hong and Kim of The Ravenous Couple
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Large pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Arbequina
- 3 tbs chilled balsamic reduction (optional)
- Prepare an ice bath and a empty bowl. In sauce pan add the sugar, water, milk, and salt heat on low until dissolves.
In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks until frothy and combine into the sauce pan a bit at a time while continuously stirring the pan.
Continue to stir on low heat until mixture thickens to a custard consistancy. Transfer to ice bath and stir until cool and refridgerate
- Whisk in 1/4 cup of Arbequina extra-virgin olive oil, a small amount at a time until smooth. We thought the taste wasn't too overpowering so we added
the extra 2 tbs. Churn in ice cream maker following manufacturers directions. To add the chilled balsmic swirl, drizzle in small amount
at a time during the last minutes of churning. Freeze for another 2 hours and enjoy.
Tip: For instructions on how to make a balsamic reduction, see this link. Enjoy with sprinkles of sea salt or
extra drizzle of balsamic reduction.