Recipe courtesy of Salad of the Day (Weldon Owen Inc., 2012), by Georgeanne Brennan, reprinted with permission from the publisher
- 1 lb. salmon fillet, pin bones removed
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb. small, multicolored potatoes
- 3⁄4 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 10 oz. mixed baby greens
- 3 green onions, including tender green tops, thinly sliced
For the Vinaigrette
- 4 dry-packed sun-dried tomato halves
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh dill
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct-heat cooking over high heat. Alternatively, preheat a stove-top grill pan over high heat. Brush the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the fillet on the grill rack or in the pan and grill, turning once, until opaque throughout, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the salmon to a plate and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain, cut in half, and set aside to cool completely.
- Place the asparagus in a steamer basket over boiling water in a saucepan, cover the pan, and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Rinse the asparagus under cold running water until cool. Pat dry and set aside.
- To make the vinaigrette, put the sun-dried tomatoes in a heatproof bowl, pour in boiling water to cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and cut into 1⁄4-inch pieces. In a small bowl, whisk together the chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley, dill, orange zest, garlic, 2 Tbsp. water, 1⁄2 tsp. salt, and a grinding of pepper. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the dressing is well blended.
- In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with 2 Tbsp. of the vinaigrette. Peel off the salmon skin. Cut the flesh into 4 pieces. Divide the salmon, asparagus, potatoes, and greens evenly among 4 plates and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with the green onions and serve.