Chef's Note: It sounds simple, and it is: nothing more than chicken, olive oil, rosemary, lemon, and garlic. But when chef Evan Kleiman began serving this rustic
Italian-style roast chicken at Los Angeles’s Angeli Café back in 1984, it turned out to be everything her customers were craving – honest food prepared with minimal fuss.
Serve with rice or buttered noodles.
- 1 3 ½-lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- ½ cup California Olive Ranch extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh rosemary leaves
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, peel removed, pith and pulp chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Toss the chicken pieces with the California Olive Ranch extra-virgin olive oil, rosemary, lemon juice, garlic, lemon, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Marinate for about 1 hour.
Heat the oven to 475°F. Arrange the chicken in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and add the remaining marinade. Roast, turning once, until cooked through, 30-40 minutes.
Divide chicken between 4 plates and serve.
Recipe Credit: Saveur: The New Comfort Food (Chronicle Books, 2011), edited by James Oseland.
Reprinted with permission from Chronicle Books.