Recipe courtesy of Moosewood Restaurant Favorites (St. Martin’s Griffin, 2013), by the Moosewood Collective
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large ﬁrm apple, shredded (1-2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup minced celery
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- 3 cups shredded kale, packed
- To make dressing: Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Prepare apple and vegetables and place them in the bowl as you go: Peel the apple or don’t, and shred it on large-holed side of a hand grater. To prevent apples from discoloring, toss well with dressing.
- Thinly slice cabbage and cut across the slices about every inch. Peel carrots and shred on large-holed side of a hand grater. Mince celery. Mince scallions.
- To shred kale: Rinse kale leaves and shake off excess water. Strip leaves from large stems and pile on a chopping board. Gather kale into a compact mass and thinly slice it. Then cut down across slices, chopping kale into 1- to 2- inch pieces. Go after larger pieces of kale that got away from you when you were slicing it.
- Add shredded kale to bowl and toss well. Delicious served right away, but the sweetness intensifies as it sits. This slaw will keep in the refrigerator two to three.
Yield: 6-8 servings