This Italian classic is named for the town of Amatrice, which is situated in the province of Rieti in Central Italy. Amatrice is best known for this sauce, Amatriciana, which became a staple of Roman cuisine in the 19th century.
It’s known for being a spicy tomato-based sauce, and our Organic Spicy Tuscan Tomato Sauce lends itself perfectly to to take the place of fresh tomatoes and add a bit of heat.
- 4 ounces pancetta – roughly chopped
- 1 medium red onion – roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 jar Lucini Organic Spicy Tuscan Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 springs of fresh oregano
- 1 pound spaghetti or bucatini
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- While the water is heating up, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in another large pot and add the pancetta and onion. Sauté until the pancetta has browned and the onion had started to softened.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 cup wine and continue cooking until it’s reduced by half.
- Mix in the Spicy Tuscan Marinara Sauce and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and cook until the all the flavors have melded together, about 2-5 minutes
- Add the cooked pasta and reserved water to the pot with the sauce and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
If you make this recipe, share it with us by tagging us @luciniitalia and using #luciniinspired