There is something truly special about a date night in – preparing a meal for, or with, a loved one, and then enjoying it together. This menu is designed for two, and packs a ton of flavor with relatively few ingredients. For some extra boldness of flavor, we recommend trying our Rich & Robust
extra virgin olive oil in these recipes!
Roasted Radicchio and Beets with Tahini Yogurt Sauce and Pomegranate Seedsserves 2
This recipe is full of healthful antioxidants
– just look at those colors! If you aren't a fan of radicchio, red cabbage also works well in this recipe. But don't omit the pomegranate arils, they add the perfect burst of sweetness.Ingredients
- 2 medium beets, washed
½ head radicchio, cut into 4 large wedges through root end
⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
flaky sea salt, for serving
⅓ cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 tbsp. tahini
recipe adapted from Angela Dimayuga for Bon Appetit
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Toss beets with extra virgin olive oil on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, enough to coat generously. Season with kosher salt. Roast, tossing once, until skins are charred and beets are tender, 40–50 minutes. Let cool, then slide into half moons.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini sauce by stirring together yogurt and tahini sauce with about 2 tbsp. water, as needed. Season with kosher salt and pepper, to taste.
- Now, make the radicchio. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook radicchio wedges on cut sides until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- To serve, smear a large spoonful of tahini sauce on each plate. Add radicchio wedges and sliced beets, and top salad with pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and drizzle with additional extra virgin oil.
Grilled Scallops with Lemony Salsa Verdeserves 2
This recipe has a beautiful presentation, and comes together almost effortlessly. Serve with fresh bread to soak up the salsa verde if you like – it's delicious and you will have extra.
for the scallops:
for the salsa verde:
½ preserved lemon, peel and flesh, chopped
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
fresh lemon juice
- Start by making the salsa verde. Combine preserved lemon, shallot, and garlic in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper and let sit 5 minutes. Stir in extra virgin olive oil and fresh herbs. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- For the scallops, coat a grill pan with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Toss scallops with 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil on a baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place scallops on grill, flat side down and grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve scallops and top with salsa verde.
recipe adapted from Alison Roman for Bon Appetit
Chocolate Mousse with Whipped Cream and Crushed Hazelnutsserves 2-3
A chocolatey dessert is a wonderful conclusion to any romantic meal. This mousse can be made ahead of time, except for the whipped cream – make it just before serving!Ingredients
- 3 oz. high-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Armagnac or Cognac
- 1 tbsp. very strong brewed coffee or espresso
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. granulated cane sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. granulated cane sugar
recipes adapted from Nancy Harmon Jenkins on Food52 and Food Network
- Make the mousse: Melt the chocolate, liquor, and coffee together in the top of a double boiler. Once melted, add the salt and remove from heat. Stir the egg yolks in one at a time then add the olive oil using a hand held mixer or wooden spoon.
- Start whipping the egg whites. When they begin to stiffen, add the sugar. Whip to stiff peaks. Fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate a quarter at a time, thoroughly amalgamating in between additions until all the whites have been folded in. Spoon the mixture into 2 individual ramekins or one large bowl, whatever you plan to serve it in. (You may have extra, depending on the size of your serving bowls).
- For the whipped cream: place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- To serve, top each mousse with a generous dollop of whipped cream, chopped hazelnuts, and bittersweet chocolate.
Did you try these recipes? What are your favorite date night in dishes? Let us know by connecting with us on Instagram @CAoliveranch
! Happy cooking!