Recipe and photo courtesy of Canal House Cooks Every Day (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2012), by Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer. Reprinted with permission from the authors.
Avocado Mash on Multigrain Toastyields 2-4 servings - level Easy
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1-2 lemons, preferably Meyers, halved
- Aleppo pepper or other crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt, preferably flaky sea salt like Maldon
- Toast the bread, then drizzle on one side with the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil while still warm. Put 2 avocado halves on each piece of toast and mash them with a butter knife or fork, spreading the soft fruit to the edges of the toast.
- Drizzle the avocados with some California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Squeeze some lemon juice over the toasts, sprinkle with a pinch or two of Aleppo pepper, and season with salt. Serve with lemon halves.