Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef and Co-Owner Hugo Matheson, The Kitchen,Boulder, CO
Butter Bean and Spinach Soupyields 6-8 servings - level Moderate
- 6 oz. dried beans, soaked in water overnight
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock or broth
- ¼ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- ½ lb. spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley or celery leaves
- Drain beans and place in a large pot. Add stock or broth, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and sauté onion and thyme leaves until soft, about 6 minutes. When beans are tender, add onion mixture to the pot (if you like, add a little more water to get a looser soup). Bring to a simmer, then add spinach and stir. Check seasoning for salt and pepper and adjust to your taste. Serve in bowls, garnished with celery or parsley leaves and drizzled with remaining California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil.