Recipe and photo courtesy of Nicola Kountoupes and Lunds/Byerly’s
California Dreamin Quinoa Saladyields 6 servings - level Easy
- 1 (8 ounce) box Lunds and Byerly’s Tri-Color Quinoa mix
- 2 1/2 cups water or stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 small bunch fresh fennel, bulb and fronds (no stalks), thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh flat parsley, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimientos (roasted red peppers)
- 1 cup California dried plums (pitted), chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package Lunds and Byerly’s crumbled goat’s cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) package California almond, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Always be ruse to pre-rinse quinoa before cooking.
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions in saucepan, adding the minced garlic to the liquid. After the quinoa is cooked and drained, transfer to bowl. While quinoa is hot, mix in diced red onion. Refrigerate until cold.
- While quinoa is chilling, finely chop the cucumbers, fennel and prunes.
- In a large mixing/serving bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the goat’s cheese and almonds (parsley, fennel, cucumbers, prunes and diced pimientos) with a small splash of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Helpful hing: pre-mix the oil, vinegar and salt and pepper before dressing the salad.
- Gently fold the chilled quinoa into the ingredients until thoroughly mixed, gradually adding the crumbled goat’s cheese and almonds last.
- Finish with a generous amount of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil.