Recipe courtesy of Veronica Callaghan. Photo courtesy of Grace Rusch.
California Farro Salad with Roasted Serrano Dressingyields 6 servings - level Easy
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 4 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
To make the vinaigrette:
- Preheat a broiler. Place the peppers directly on the oven rack or on a sheet of foil and broil turning occasionally until all sides are evenly blackened and charred.
- Place the peppers in a small bowl covered with plastic wrap for 5-10 minutes (this will make removing the skins much easier). Remove the peppers from the bowl and carefully peel off and discard the skins (you may want to wear rubber gloves). Slice each pepper in half and remove and discard any seeds or membranes.
- In a small food processor or blender, combine the roasted peppers, cilantro, shallot, vinegar, kosher salt and agave nectar or honey. With the motor on the food processor running, pour in the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and process until well combined; set aside.
To make the farro:
- Combine the chicken broth and the farro in a medium sized saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the temperature to medium low and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the farro and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the arugula, tomatoes, avocado, salt and the almond slices. Pour vinaigrette over the farro salad and stir gently to combine. Garnish by sprinkling with the Cotija cheese and chopped cilantro.