Recipe and photo courtesy of Viviane Bauquet Farre of food & style
Cannellini Beans with Braised Kale and Garlic Breadcrumbsyields 4 servings
For garlic breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves – skinned and finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbs. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 2 large garlic cloves – skinned and finely chopped
- 1 lb. Tuscan kale or regular kale (1 large bunch) – stems removed and leaves cut in 3” pieces
- 2/3 cup spring water
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans (or canned beans) – drained
- 1/3 cup reserved liquid from cooking the beans
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- To make the breadcrumbs: Heat small heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and breadcrumbs, stir until breadcrumbs are well coated with the oil, and sauté for about 2 minutes until golden. Add garlic, salt and pepper and continue to sauté for about 1 minute until garlic is fragrant and breadcrumbs are golden-brown. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds only. Add kale and continue to sauté for about 1 minute, until wilted, tossing continuously. Add spring water. Toss again, cover and reduce heat to medium/medium-low. Braise for 20-25 minutes until kale is tender. Add salt, toss again and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, re-heat cooked beans with reserved liquid until warm. Add salt and stir well. Spoon beans into individual bowls or a large serving bowl. Top with braised kale, drizzle with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and serve.