Recipe courtesy of From Our House to Yours: Comfort Food to Give and Share(Chronicle Books, 2002), by Joyce Goldstein. Reprinted with permission from the publishers
Caramelized Roasted Vegetablesyields 6-8 servings - level Easy
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 1 unpeeled russet potato, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 green zucchini, cut into ¾-inch-thick slices
- 2 yellow zucchini or summer squash, cut into ¾-inch-thick slices
- 1 eggplant, cubed, salted, allowed to drain for 30 minutes in a colander, and patted dry
- 1 head garlic, broken into unpeeled cloves
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 9 wedges each
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced into wedges
- 1 or more red bell peppers, seeded and cut lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips
- ½ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange all the vegetables in 3 or more large roasting pans, drizzle with the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss the vegetables so that all of them are evenly coated. Break up 1 of the rosemary spring and distribute it over the vegetables, or sprinkle the dried rosemary over them.
- Roast until the vegetables are brown and tender, turning them once or twice to avoid sticking, about 1 hour. Transfer to a large platter and serve warm, with a sprig of rosemary on top.