Recipe courtesy of The Colors Of Indian Cooking
Chocolate Olive Oil Ice Creamyields 4-6 servings - level Moderate
prep time 1 hour
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 and 1/3 cups of milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz of CocoaPlanet Chocolate Olive Chocolate
- Large crystal sea salt
- Chop 4 ozs of chocolate into chunks and set them aside.Mix the milk, sugar and salt together in a pot.In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and set them aside.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a strainer on top of the bowl. Set it aside. Heat the milk, sugar, and salt mixture until it’s warm.
- When the milk sugar and salt mixture is warm, pour it into the bowl of egg yolks. Pour it in slowly and keep whisking. You don’t want a bowl of scrambled eggs.
- Pour the egg yolk, milk, sugar, and salt mixture back into the pot. Keep the heat on medium and keep stirring the mixture until you have a thickened sort of custard.Remember to scrape around the bottom of the pot too so nothing burns. When it coats the spoon or spatula, it’s ready.
- Pour the custard mixture through the strainer and into the cream. Add in the chunked chocolate and stir it into the mixture.Blend the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil into the custard thoroughly. Whisk it hard, so that it’s combined thoroughly.
- Set the bowl in an ice bath and whisk everything well until it’s cooled.
- Set the bowl in the fridge for a few hours or even over night to chill thoroughly, then pour it into an ice cream machine. 25 minutes later you’ve got ice cream.