Recipe courtesy of The Country Cooking of Greece (Chronicle Books, 2012), by Diane Kochilas. Reprinted with permission from the publisher.
Greek Friesyields 4 servings - level Easy
- 6 Yukon gold or White Rose potatoes
- California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Coarse salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup/30 g grated kefalotyri cheese
- Scrub and rinse, but do not peel, the potatoes. Cut into rounds. Put the potatoes in a bowl of ice water in the refrigerator and let soak for 1 hour. Remove, drain, and blot the pieces dry with a lint-free kitchen towel.
- Heat about 1 in/2.5 cm of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a large, heavy frying pan or nonstick wok and carefully drop as many potatoes into the pan as will fit in one layer. Let the potatoes cook in the oil until lightly browned on both sides, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl lined with a few paper towels. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Remove the paper towels and toss the fries with salt, the oregano, and grated cheese. Serve immediately.