Recipe from Colorado Classique: A Collection of Fresh Recipes from the Rockies by the Junior League of Denver (Wimmer Cookbooks, 2009)
Italian Chopped Saladyields 6 portions
For the Balsamic Dressing
- 2 Tbl Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 heaping Tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 Tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1-2 red bell peppers
- 1 pound finely julienned romaine lettuce and field greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1 Tbl capers, drained
- 10 thin slices hard salami, sliced in strips
- 10 thin slices prosciutto ham, sliced in strips
- In a blender or food processor, blend vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add oli and blend until smooth. Set dressing aside.
- To prepare the salad, toast pine nuts in a pan until lightly browned; cool. Char bell peppers over an open flame or under a broiler until blackened on all sides. Transfer peppers to a large bowl, over tightly with plastic wrap, and let stand 15 minutes. Peel and seed peppers and cut into strips to yeild 1/2 cup.
- Just before serving, toss pine nuts and roasted peppers wiht lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives, capers, salami, and ham in a large bowls. Add dressing and toss to coat.