Linguine with Mussels and Spicy Tomato Sauceyields 4 servings - level Easy
- 4 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can Italian tomatoes in purée(preferably San Marzano)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound linguini pasta
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 2 pounds mussels, rinsed and debearded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and pepper flakes and sauté until light golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the wine, thyme and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is thick and flavors blend, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1/2 cup wine and capers to the sauce and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook until the mussels open, about 4 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and stir over high heat for 1 minute to blend. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Divide the pasta and mussels among 4 plates. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.