Recipe and photo courtesy of COOK, a oui chef journal
Olive Oil Cakeyields 8-10 servings - level Easy
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup corn meal
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- ½ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/6 cup Marcona almonds, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1/6 cup regular almonds, sliced and lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Oil a cake pan with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and zest in a small bowl. Mix to make sure zest is evenly distributed. (Easily done with hand.)
- Combine oil, buttermilk, and honey in a measuring cup. Give a quick stir to mix everything.
- In an electric mixer, cream sugar and eggs with paddle attachment on medium high until pale yellow, about 1 minute. On medium speed, add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the wet ingredients. With every addition, make sure to incorporate without overbeating. Scrape down sides as necessary. With a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the oiled baking dish. Sprinkle sugar and almond mixture on top.
- Place in middle rack of oven, and bake until slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour.