Recipe Courtesy of Marie Simmons
Pear and Almond Cakeyields 8 servings - level Moderate
prep time 1 hour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup coarse ground yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons finely ground roasted unsalted almonds with skins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large ripe Bartlett pear
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly brush the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring-form pan with a thin film of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, 1/2 cup ground almonds, baking powder, salt and nutmeg and stir with a whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl (or beat with a wire beater in an electric mixer) gradually adding ¾ cup of the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
- While continuing to beat the egg mixture, add the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil gradually in a slow steady stream, until thoroughly blended. Add the flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, folding into the egg and oil mixture with a rubber spatula until thoroughly blended. Scrap the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Quarter the pear (do not peel), cut out the core and slice each quarter into 3 thin wedges. Equally space the 12 wedges of pear in pinwheel design on the surface of the cake pressing the slices into the batter. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of the sugar and ground almonds and sprinkle over the cake and the pear wedges.
- Bake the cake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool and cut into wedges.