Seafood Paellayields 4 servings - level Moderate
prep time 90 minutes
- 1 ripe tomato
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 12-16 black mussels, beards removed and scrubbed
- ½ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, extra finely chopped
- 1 bacon slice, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 ¼ oz. chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup paella or medium-grain rice
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads
- 2 cups chicken stock, heated
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 12 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cleaned squid tubes, cut into rings
- 4 ounces skinless firm white fish fillets, cut into pieces
- 1 large handful Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Score a cross in the base of the tomato. Put it in a bowl of boiling water for 10 seconds, and then plunge into cold water and peel away the skin from the cross. Chop the tomato and set aside.
- Heat the wine and the onion in a saucepan over high heat. Add the mussels, cover, and gently shake the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard any unopened mussels, and drain, reserving the liquid.
- Heat the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan, add the extra onion, bacon, garlic, and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the chopped tomato, chorizo, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir in the reserved liquid, then add the rice and stir again. Blend the saffron with the stock, then stir into the rice mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes without stirring.
- Put the peas, shrimp, squid, and fish on top of the rice. Push them into the rice, cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, turning over halfway through, until the rice is tender and the seafood is cooked through. Add the mussels for the last 5 minutes to heat through. If the rice is not quite cooked, add extra stock and cook for a few more minutes.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then add the parsley and serve.