Recipes from an Italian Summer (Phaidon Press, 2010), by the Editors of Phaidon Press. Reprinted courtesy of Phaidon Press
Spaghetti with Raw Tomatoesyields Serves 4
- 1 lb. 2 oz. ripe vine tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 12 oz. Spaghetti
- Salt and pepper
- Place tomatoes in a large salad bowl, add the oil, basil, and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently, cover, and set aside in a cool place for about 30 minutes or so to let the flavors mingle.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti according to the package directions, until it is tender but al dente, or firm to the bite. Drain the spaghetti.
- Remove and discard the garlic from the raw tomato sauce. Add the pasta to the sauce, toss, and serve immediately.