Recipe courtesy of Bob’s Red Mill.
Spelt Cake With Caramelized Applesyields One 9 inch round - level Easy
For the Caramelized Apples
- 1 Tbsp California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Evaporated Cane Juice
- 1 1/2 firm apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
For the Cake
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Spelt Berries
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Evaporated Cane Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Spelt Flour
- 1 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- Rinse spelt berries under cool running water, then cover in bowl with 2 inches water. Refrigerate, and let soak 8 – 12 hours.
- Drain spelt berries and rinse well. Place rinsed berries with 2 cups water in a small pot. Simmer until berries are very soft, about 90 minutes. Drain, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil.
- To make caramelized apples, combine and heat 1 TbspCalifornia Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and evaporated cane juice in a skillet over low heat. Let cook until golden, stirring occasionally. Add apple slices and gently stir until well-coated, and just softened. Cool.
- Once apples are cool enough to handle, arrange them on the bottom of the prepared cake pan in a decorative pattern.
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and 1/2 cup water. Let sit 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift and combine flours, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whip California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and evaporated cane juice until well combined. Add vanilla extract and flaxseed mixture; mix to combine.
- Add dry mixture to wet, alternating with remaining 1 cup of water; mix to combine. Do not over-mix. Fold in cooled spelt berries.
- Pour batter on top of the apples in the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 40 – 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in middle of the cake comes out clean, and the edges begin to pull away from the sides.
- Let cool, and unmold onto a serving platter. Makes one 9 inch round cake.