Is there a sweeter season than summer? With melons, stone fruits, and berries coming into season, we can’t help but try to figure out more ways to include them in our meals. And breakfast seems a logical place to start! These summer breakfast recipes feature the natural sweetness of berries, balanced by the savory addition of extra virgin olive oil.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries
We know, olive oil in pancakes?! If you’re wary to let your everyday extra virgin olive oil near your pancake batter, try our Mild & Buttery extra virgin olive oil. It’s blended to feature the oil from late-harvest olives, which have a milder and more, well, buttery flavor. Thus, it is perfectly suited for baked goods. (Even pancakes!)
Recipe adapted from José Andres
Yields 8-10 pancakes
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup Mild & Buttery extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- maple syrup or honey, for serving
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the egg, buttermilk, and 2 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Ladle ¼ cup of the pancake mixture into the pan and cook until golden brown.
- Flip the pancake with a spatula and cook until golden brown on the second side. Transfer the pancake to a warm oven. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more extra virgin olive oil to the pan as needed.
- To serve, top the pancakes with sliced strawberries and maple syrup, as desired.
Yogurt Parfaits with Fresh Berries and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
This breakfast is delicious, easy, and will keep you full until lunch. A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil adds decadence – and satisfying healthy fats! – to this classic combination of yogurt, berries, and granola.
Yields 1 serving
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup fresh berries of choice, we used blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- ½ cup granola, store-bought or homemade
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Add ingredients to a bowl or glass, layer by layer, starting with the yogurt, then adding berries and granola, until all ingredients are used up.
- Top with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and enjoy immediately!
Did you try these recipes? Let us know by tagging us in your culinary creations! Find us on Instagram @CAOliveRanch.