- 1 egg
- 2 Tbl water
- 2⁄3 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lb)
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, beat egg and water. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook half of the chicken in oil about 5 minutes, turning once, until light brown; drain. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding 1 or 2 tablespoons oil if necessary.
- In ungreased 11×7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish, place half of the chicken, overlapping slices slightly. Spoon 1 cup of the tomato sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining chicken, sauce and cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is light brown.
Tip: Place each chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Pound with flat side of meat mallet until 1/4 inch thick. In Step 3, cook chicken until no longer pink in center.