Cold Tomato Soup with Serrano Ham
For the soup
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 slices of white sandwich bread or country bread
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tbl cider vinegar
- 2 Tbl chopped serrano ham (or prociutto)
- 1 egg, hard boiled, chopped
- Bread croutons
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Make a cross with a knife on the bottom of each tomato and put them in the boiling water for 30 seconds, in batches. After this process, the skin becomes lose and really easy to remove.
- Peel and quarter the tomatoes, and put them in a blender. Add the garlic cloves. Soak the bread in water, squeeze it with your hands and add it to the blender. Puree until smooth, about 3 minutes (it will depend on the blender, but the soup should be smooth with no lumps).
- Open the blender and add the oil, salt and vinegar. Close the blender and mix for 10 more seconds.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with croutons, serrano ham and hard boiled egg. Drizzle with olive oil.