Recipe courtesy of Lisa Sheldon, Olive Oil Baking (Turner Publishing, 2007)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup non-fat or low-fat sour cream
- Glaze (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 to 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Generously spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a handheld mixer until light and slightly increased in volume. Add the sugar slowly while continuing to beat. The mixture will become light and fluffy. Add the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and beat another 2 minutes. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream to the batter, beating between additions.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then invert the pan to remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Simple glaze for the cake (optional): Whisk the lemon juice, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until the mixture has a smooth consistency. Drizzle over the cake.