For the cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 1 large lemon [about 1 tablespoon]
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- dash of almond extract
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 5-by-9 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and zest together in a bowl; using your fingers, rub together well. Add juice and milk, and whisk to combine. Add eggs and oil, and whisk to combine. Add flour mixture to the milk mixture, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the seeds last, stirring until evenly distributed.
- Transfer batter to the pan, and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn cake out on rack, and using the tines of a fork, gently poke small holes on the top surface of the cake. Apply half of the glaze while cake is still warm. When cake has cooled, apply second half of glaze.
For the glaze
- Mix all this stuff together. If it’s too thin, add a little more sugar. If it’s too thick, add more lemon juice or milk or cream.