Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 5 lb)
- 6 small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots
- 8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed
- Heat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, mix oil, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Grate 1 teaspoon peel from lemon; stir peel into oil mixture. Cut lemon into quarters; place in cavity of chicken.
- Fold wings across back of chicken so tips are touching. Skewer or tie legs together. On rack in shallow roasting pan or 13×9-inch pan fitted with rack, place chicken, breast side up. Brush some of the oil mixture on chicken. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of thigh but does not touch bone.
- Roast uncovered 45 minutes. Arrange potatoes, carrots and green beans around chicken; brush remaining oil mixture on chicken and vegetables. Roast uncovered 30 to 45 minutes longer or until thermometer reads at least 165°F, legs move easily when lifted or twisted and vegetables are tender. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes for easiest carving.
- Remove lemon and discard. Place chicken on platter; arrange vegetables around chicken. Serve with pan drippings.