Recipe courtesy of 30AEats and Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 pound andouille,chorizo, or other smoked sausage cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless white chicken meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 bag of Grande’ Grains
- 6 cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, 2 teaspoons of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the cayenne. Stirring often, brown the vegetables for about 20 minutes, or until they are caramelized and dark brown in color. Scrape the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often for 10 to 15 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles.
- Season the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Add the chicken and the bay leaves to the pot. Brown the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes, scrapping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned particles. In a separate stock pot on medium heat, add the Grand’ Grains and stir for 2 to 3 minutes to toast it evenly. Add the chicken broth, stir to combine, and cover.
- Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes, then remove grains and rinse under hot water for less than 15 seconds. Add grains to Dutch oven, remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the green onions, reheat if needed and serve.