Mediterranean Steak Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette (below)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Trim fat from steak. Season steak with kosher salt and pepper. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. Place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat until desired doneness, turning once. Allow 15 to 17 minutes for medium-rare (135°F) or 20 to 22 minutes for medium (140°F). Let the meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice the meat.
- Divide torn romaine among four dinner plates. Top with sliced meat, cucumber slices, red onion, tomatoes, cannellini beans, and feta cheese. Drizzle with Lemon Vinaigrette. If desired, garnish with parsley.
For the Lemon Vinaigrette: In a screw-top jar, combine 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel, 3 tablespoons lemon juice 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, and 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon minced). Cover and shake well. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Makes about 1/2 cup.