Roasted Butternut Squash, Apple, Quinoa Salad with Orange-Sage Dressing
For the salad
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash drizzled with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Alter Eco Red Quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 Pink Lady Apple, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 Tbl fresh chopped parsley
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
For the dressing
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 Tbl fresh orange juice
- 2 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbl stone ground mustard
- 1 Tbl minced shallot
- 1 Tsp agave syrup
- 1/4 Tsp sea salt
- 1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/ 3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
To make dressing
- Whisk together orange-sage dressing ingredients except the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Slowly drizzle in the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Add salt to taste.
To make salad
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, place butternut on a medium roasting pan, drizzle with a little California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle wit salt and pepper. Roast in the center of the oven until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes, turning squash over once.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet and lightly toast the pecans, till fragrant.
- Meanwhile, cook red quinoa as directed on package. Slightly cool cooked quinoa before adding remaining ingredients.
- In a large salad bowl, add in the quinoa, roasted butternut, apples, spinach, parsley, and toasted pecans. Drizzle with desired amount of orange-sage dressing. Serve at room temperature.