Skip to content
Recipe and photo courtesy of Viviane Bauquet Farre of Food & Style
For the asparagus
- 1 lb (454gr) asparagus spears (1 bunch) – bottom of stems snapped off
- 1 tablespoon California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
For the vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger (use microplane grater)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (use microplane grater)
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
For the salad
- 1 teaspoon sea salt for blanching
- 1 cup snow peas (3 oz) (85gr) – stem end trimmed and left whole
- 1 large Valencia or navel orange
- 1 large handful (3 oz) (85gr) baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds – toasted (see cook’s note)
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF (260ºC). Move rack to the top of the oven. Spread the asparagus on a jellyroll pan. Brush with the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (depending on their size) until the tips begin to brown. The stalks should still be bright green. Remove from pan and let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk ginger, zest, vinegar, lime juice, cayenne, salt, California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, and sesame oil until well blended. Set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and several ice cubes. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, add the salt and snow peas. Boil for 2 minutes. The snow peas will turn bright green. Drain and transfer to the cold water bath. When the snow peas are chilled through, drain and spread on paper towels. Set aside.
- Peel the orange to its flesh and cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds, pith and threads in the center, and slice each half crosswise in 1/8″ thick slices. Set aside.
- Place the arugula leaves in the center of each plate. Tuck a few snow peas and orange slices between the leaves. Top with the roasted asparagus. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.