Recipe credit: Simply Organic (Chronicle Books, 2008), by Jesse Ziff Cool. Reprinted with permission from Chronicle Books
- 2 1/2 pounds baby artichokes
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium red onion, or 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup whole Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of Tabasco
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To clean the artichokes, first pull away and discard the outer leaves until all that remains is the very light, tender inside leaves. Using a sharp knife, cut off and discard the tips of the remaining leaves and all the dark parts.
- Pour the lemon juice into a large bowl. Slice the trimmed artichokes thinly and add to the lemon juice, tossing well. Add the celery, onion, parsley, capers, oil, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the salad at room temperature or transfer to a skillet and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes to warm slightly.