- 2 medium beets, tops and tails trimmed
- ½ small shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches watercress, coarsely chopped
- Fresh corn kernels from 1 ear of corn
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Steam the beets in a covered steamer insert set over simmering water until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Replenish the water in the pot if it cooks off quickly.
- Combine the shallot, vinegar, curry powder, honey, and salt and pepper in a small jar with a lid. Shake vigorously. Add the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and shake well until California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and vinegar are emulsified.
- When beets are done, let them cool. Peel the beets with your hands under cold running water (the skins will slip off easily). Yes, your hands may turn pink, rinse them with lemon juice later to remove the color or just wear gloves. Cut the peeled beets into ½-inch cubes.
- Combine the beets, watercress, corn, and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss until well coated. Season with salt.