Recipe courtesy of Simply Organic by Jesse Ziff Cool (Chronicle Books, 2008)
- 4 oz. orzo or other small pasta
- 2 lbs. fava beans in their pods
- 3 Tbsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chopped fresh marjoram
- 3 Tbsp. chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch arugula (about 5 oz.)
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Working in batches if necessary, boil the beans in the pods for 6 minutes, or until the inner beans are tender, but not mushy. Cool slightly. Remove and discard the pods. Using a small sharp knife, remove the outer skins of the beans.
- Heat the California Olive Ranch extra virgin California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 7 minutes, or until very soft. Remove from the heat and stir in the marjoram, tomatoes, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add the beans and orzo and toss to coat well.
- Divide the arugula among 4 salad plates. Top with the bean salad..
Time 60+ minutes
Yield 4 servings