Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell, author of Own Your Kitchen(Clarkson Potter, 2013), Reprinted with permission from the publisher
- ¼ – 1/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 slices of day-old Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 2 – 3 anchovy fillets
- 2 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch of kale, tough stems removed, cut into ribbons
- Coat a large sauté pan with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Toss in half the garlic and the crushed red pepper and bring pan to medium heat. Cook garlic until it becomes golden and very aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove garlic and discard. Toss in bread cubes and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, crisp, and they have absorbed all the oil. Remove from heat and reserve.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine Parmigiano, lemon zest and juice, remaining garlic, Dijon mustard, anchovies, and Worcestershire. Puree until mixture is smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. With machine running, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil through the feed tube. Let processor continue to run for another 10 to 15 seconds. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- In a large bowl, toss kale with the croutons and two-thirds of the dressing. Let kale sit for 3 to 4 minutes to soften. Taste, add the remaining dressing, and adjust the seasoning if needed.