Recipe courtesy of Marie Simmons
- 2 or 3 large fennel bulbs, fern-like tops trimmed
- California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice, preferably Meyer lemon
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove any blemishes from the outside ribs of the fennel bulbs. Cut a thin slice from the root end. Halve the bulbs and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and a handful of ice and let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Reserve some of the fern like tops. Finely chop about ¼ cup and set aside. Just before slicing the fennel, drain and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Place the cut side of each bulb against the cutting surface and finely slice the fennel. As the fennel is sliced pile it on a deep platter or large shallow serving bowl.
- Drizzle the fennel with about 1/3 cup of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Add the juice of one lemon, about ¼ cup. Sprinkle generously with coarse salt and a grinding of black pepper. Sprinkle with the reserved chopped fennel tops.
- With two forks gently toss the fennel to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Use a cheese plane pressed firmly against the broad side of a wedge of cheese and with long strokes slice off curls of the cheese. Arrange a generous halo of cheese curls on top of the fennel and serve at once.