Recipe courtesy of Jill Nussinow, MS, RD, The Veggie Queen
- 3 to 4 summer squash, assorted or all one type, grated to equal about 3 cups of squash
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced plus a sprig for garnish
- 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil plus another teaspoon for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Leaf lettuce for serving
- Italian parsley, for garnish
- Grate the squash by hand or in the food processor. Squeeze the squash with your hands until mostly dry if it is very watery.
- Add the onion, red pepper, garlic and parsley.
- In a small bowl, combine the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Pour over the vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately on top of butter or leaf lettuce, drizzled with the extra teaspoon of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and garnished with a sprig of parsley.