Sesame-Almond & Avocado Spinach Salad
For the almonds:
- ½ cup raw California Almonds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
For the dressing:
- 1 small piece peeled ginger (the end of your pinky size)
- 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste*
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
For the salad:
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, min
- Preheat oven to 325˚. In a bowl, toss together almonds, sesame seeds, honey, and soy sauce until almonds are well coated. Spread out into a single layer on a parchment covered sheet tray. Roast for 14 to 16 minutes until sesame seeds are starting to brown. Remove and set aside, letting cool completely.
- In a blender, add ginger and pulse until broken into smaller pieces. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Alternatively, minced ginger and combine all ingredients in an airtight container and shake until combined. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking (for example, add more honey if the dressing is a bit tart for your taste.)
- To assemble salad, combine spinach, quinoa, red peppers, cilantro, and roasted almonds in a bowl and chop together. Add avocado and drizzle dressing over the salad. Lightly toss salad and serve.
- *Tamarind paste can often be found at health food stores, online, or in Asian markets. If you can’t find it, simply leave it out.
- **To roast a red pepper, place pepper under the broiler, rotating occasionally, until the pepper is charred.