Spinach Salad with Roasted Beets and Feta
- 1 pound small beets
- 4 tsp. sherry vinegar, plus more as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pound baby spinach leaves
- 3 oz. Greek, Bulgarian or French feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If the beet greens are attached, remove all but ½ inch of the stems (so as not to pierce the beets) and reserve for another use. Put beets in a baking dish with ¼ cup water. Cover tightly and bake until a small knife slips in easily, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly, then peel. Let cool completely, then cut into ½ inch wedges.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 4 teaspoons vinegar, the garlic, the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, toss together beets and red onion with about half of the dressing. Let stand 10 minutes to absorb flavors, then taste and sprinkle with a little more vinegar if necessary.
- In a large bowl, toss spinach with remaining dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning. Divide equally among 4 plates. Top with beets and onions, again dividing equally. Crumble feta evenly over each salad.