Tomato Melon Salad
Recipe from Made in Italy (Clarkson Potter, 2011), by David Rocco. Reprinted with permission from Clarkson Potter.
- 2 or 3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- ½ cantaloupe, peeled and diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1-2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbs. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Dried oregano, to taste (optional)
- 1 bunch arugula, torn
- The key is to mix your tomatoes, cucumber, melon and red onions in the vinegar, California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and spices and let sit for 5 minutes. Make sure you don’t overdo it with the oregano or the red wine vinegar. These are really just slight complements to the fruit and the fantastic California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, and too much of either will overpower the dish.
- On a serving platter, lay out your greens. I prefer using baby arugula because it has a nice pepperiness and makes a great base for the salad. Add the seasoned fruits and vegetables on top. Serve immediately