Recipe and photo courtesy of Canal House Cooks Every Day (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2012), by Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer. Reprinted with permission from the authors.
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1-2 lemons, preferably Meyers, halved
- Aleppo pepper or other crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt, preferably flaky sea salt like Maldon
- Toast the bread, then drizzle on one side with the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil while still warm. Put 2 avocado halves on each piece of toast and mash them with a butter knife or fork, spreading the soft fruit to the edges of the toast.
- Drizzle the avocados with some California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Squeeze some lemon juice over the toasts, sprinkle with a pinch or two of Aleppo pepper, and season with salt. Serve with lemon halves.