Skip to content
- 1 pound Great Northern white beans, dried
- 1 medium onion, skin removed
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 16 cloves garlic (or to taste), peeled and minced
- ¼ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse beans under running water. Place beans in a large bowl. Fill with cold water, covering beans by at least 2 to 3 inches. Soak beans for 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain soaked beans and rinse again. Combine beans, onions, sage leaves, broth and enough water to bring the liquid 1-inch above beans in an 8-quart pot. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender but not mushy. Drain beans and remove onion and sage leaves.
- Gently heat the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until it becomes straw-colored, stirring the garlic often to prevent it from becoming overcooked. Turn off heat and season with salt.
- Combine garlic with beans, stirring gently to avoid breaking beans. Garnish with freshly ground pepper and parsley. Drizzle beans with additional California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil before serving.