Recipe courtesy of Food52
- 2 large, orange fleshed sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and diced (about 4 cups diced)
- 4 Tbl California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, divided (regular olive oil is fine for cooking)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbl light brown sugar
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 Tsp coarse sea salt
- 7-8 cranks freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tsp quality extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Place diced potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain immediately.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions and brown sugar; stir occasionally, until the onions caramelize and turn a deep golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Add sliced sage leaves and saute until lightly crisp. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand-held potato masher or an electric mixer, mash potatoes to desired consistency. Add the caramelized onions and the crisp sage leaves in California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil to the potatoes. Add coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir until well blended.
- Drizzle with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt before serving.