Recipe courtesy of La Fuji Mama
- 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro, rinsed
- 1.5 ounces Mariani Dried California Apricots, chopped (to size of raisins) (about 1/4 cup chopped)
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- Heat the oil in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until they are golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Immediately transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion to the same saucepan and cook until softened and just starting to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the farro and cook for two minutes, continuing to stir frequently.
- Stir in the apricots, water, salt, and saffron, then turn the heat up to high, and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Give the farro a stir and then place the lid on the saucepan, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. (Do not open the lid during this time.) Turn the heat off and let the farro sit (covered) for 5 minutes and then gently fluff with a fork.
- Drain off any excess liquid and then transfer the farro to a serving dish and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top and serve.