Holiday meals can be awfully beige: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy. Bring some much needed color to your holiday table with these easy-to-make side dishes. Transform simple, seasonal ingredients into flavorful sides that will complement all of your favorite holiday staples.
Honey Roasted Carrots
- 1 pound small carrots peeled and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
Recipe adapted from Dinner at the Zoo
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the carrots in a single layer on the baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the extra virgin olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Pour the honey mixture over the carrots and toss to coat.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes or until carrots are tender and browned. Roasting time may vary depending on the size of the carrots.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley if desired.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Recipe adapted from Food Network
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves.
- Mix them in a bowl with the extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Pair these two side dishes with our Healthy Holiday Squash Tart for a healthy vegetarian holiday meal, or serve them all as side dishes to wow at your next dinner party.
If you make any of these recipes, we want to see them! Tag us on social media by tagging us @caoliveranch and using #letyourfoodshine or #myCORkitchen. Enjoy!